07 July, 2012

On Confidence in Writing

The problem with writing something that stretches my boundaries is that I want someone to read it and give me feedback. In fact, I want all the feedback. But maybe I am afraid that this is beyond my capabilities and it's not good enough, or it's just trite crap. Maybe when John reads it he is just being nice or he likes my work because it's mine. 

Sometimes it's even harder because not everyone likes the same kind of stories so they may not like it just because of the genre, or maybe it will be too risque or too gory or too prose-heavy. And I don't want to send it to everyone while it's a work in progress, but how do I know if I should keep going? Am I writing just for me or for everyone? 

I never know how much to write before sharing with people. What I'm working on right now has this massive world that I want to build, something detailed and fleshed out. I have the economy, the culture, the architecture, everything all slowly building up in my brain to be a beautiful universe of its own. If I make one misstep I will lose it. I don't know what I will do if I can't write this one right. 

I just feel like I'm on shaky ground. I don't know how much to share and who to share it with, and I am afraid of the negative feedback I know will come. I'm just holding my breath.





No comments:

Post a Comment